Monday, February 22, 2010

Every day preparing

Every day now I try to do at least one thing to get ready for our trip. Today, I printed up a bunch of photos to bring to China to give the boys' caretakers, and I bought cigarettes. Yes, cigarettes. I read on a blog that Chinese people really enjoy smoking American Marlboro cigarettes, and as much as I detest smoking, it's best to give a gift that the receiver will appreciate. I had no idea that a carton of cigarettes was so expensive! I don't know how anyone can justify $70.00 a week to smoke! I also bought a digital ear thermometer, in case a child gets ill and I need to obtain a temperature. It's difficult enough to get Connor to hold the thermometer under his tongue; I can safely assume it would be quite a task to take an oral temperature while in China. I am also spending at least 30 min. a day on my Chinese lessons. After over a year of consistent study, I can now ask how much something costs, and where is the bathroom. Fortunately, Connor (and Austin) have learned more, and they understand quite a bit of the language. BingHui and FengHong probably won't know any English, and although they will pick it up quickly I'm sure, it will make them both feel more at ease if we know at least a few basic sentences when we meet them.

No comments: